Large Ficus Alii
Nicknamed the banana-leaf fig, thanks to its slender green leaves, the Ficus Alii looks different from relatives, the Fiddle Leaf Fig and Rubber Tree, but requires similar care. It does best in bright light with weekly waterings. Sized to ship best, our large Ficus Alii arrives with room to grow as it adapts to your home’s conditions.
- Each plant is unique; size and shape fluctuate by season so all measurements are shown as a range
- Large plant measures between 30–36" tall from the soil line to the top of the foliage
- Arrives in 10" diameter grow pot
- Large plants benefit from brighter light to help retain their mature foliage
- Large plants require less frequent waterings due to their higher volume of soil
- If you purchase a large plant with a planter, the planter will ship separately
Bright indirect light
Water every 1–2 weeks
Pair It With
The Ficus Alii is one of the easier-care varieties of ficus and is less prone to leaf drop that its cousins, such as Ficus benjamina. Also known as Ficus maclellandii, it is native to Southeast Asia, China, and India, and was first commercially grown in Hawaii—the word “alii” is Hawaiian for “king” or “chief.” The perennial ornamental fig is noted for its strong roots; palm-like trunk; and curving, olive-colored, banana-shaped leaves. These hang downwards and can grow up to 3”-10,” giving the ficus the appearance of a small willow when left un-pruned. Consistency is key to caring for any ficus. Ensure even light distribution by placing your banana-leaf fig within three feet of a window and gently rotating it regularly. You can also occasionally aerate the soil to ensure even water distribution and oxygenation.
Become a Subscriber
Take the guesswork out of plant shopping and enjoy the element of surprise with our plant subscription boxes! Choose between our Classic or Pet-Friendly subscription—and receive a new plant and ceramic planter to display it in delivered to your door every month. All you have to do is water and enjoy.
→ Includes easy-care plant & chic ceramic planter
→ Plant variety changes month-to-month
→ Pause or cancel anytime after the first three deliveries